Thursday, August 04, 2005

Every Day Is A Blues Day

A good day and a good hi to all who read this.

I like music and I guess music likes me. There are a lot of people out there who have opinions about music and some of them even write about music and publish their musings on a variety of platforms. Most of these views suck, either because the writer is trying to please somebody by pandering to their sensibilities or simply because they don't know much. A buddy once waxed lyrical about Emerson Lake & Palmer (oh yes, I do remember them) simply because he once read somewhere that Carl Palmer had been voted World's Best Drummer in some magazine poll. That's about the level of most thinking about music. It's got a beat, it's got "deep, sensitive" lyrics, an amazing shredder's delight guitar solo or maybe a totally hot frontperson, and therefore it's gotta be good. The record company would not release it, if it wasn't good, would it? Naah.

So, my point of view is that there is a lot of music out there, and I like music a lot, very eclectic tastes I have, (except that jazz fusion is my pet hate), and buy as much as I can and listen to a smuch as I have time for. Point is, most of the music out there is mediocre, a lot of it sucks, and only a small minority of musicians actually produce anything of value.

I'm going to praise and celebrate the stuff I like and I'm going to criticize the stuff I don't like -- and when I do not like something I am not going to be gentle and nice and kind about it.

After all, we already have Rolling Stone.

No comments: