Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Metrobolist: David Bowie still rocks 50 years later

METROBOLIST (THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD 2020 remix) (1970)

 

I don’t subscribe to the notion of the unfathomable, ever mutating genius of Bowie. I only like the Seventies rock albums, from The Man Who Sold the Word to Diamond Dogs (1974), and Low and “Heroes” (both released in 1977). Anything other than these leave me cold.

 

In the late Seventies, 1978 or 1979, NME published a version of Bowie: The Illustrated Record, which covered his career probably up to Heroes and it was illuminating to read of the earlier albums, before Aladdin Sane (1973),  such as Hunky Dory (1971) and The Man Who Sold the World,  so much so that I bought the latter album, before even listening to it, in Port Elizabeth in late 1979 when I visited family friends there and saw the record, not with the original “Bowie in a dress” sleeve though, in a record store. The argument that persuaded me was the description of the music as doomy heavy rock, with “The Width of a Circle” apparently featuring riffing that almost outdid Led Zeppelin.

 

I must confess, when I bought TMWSTW, that I’d not listened to any of the Bowie albums I mentioned above but was familiar only with the Bowie singles that received airplay on local radio stations and TMWSTW  was my first exposure to full Bowie. 

 

At the time I was baffled by songs with lyrics I thought of as rather immature, puerile and simplistic even if the riffing was indeed quite heavy for the most part. The authors of The Illustrated Record raved about Bowie’s skills as lyricist and this album didn’t seem to be much more than bog standard rock song writing, the kind of thing one would expect from most heavy bands of the era.  I think the apt, derogatory expression is “Sixth form poetry.”  However, I still liked the album at the time but once I’d immersed myself into Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from MarsAladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs, I concluded that TMWSTW was no more than an ambitious work by an aspirant rock star who was still  a bit clueless.

 

This remixed version of the album sounds impressively heavy, with the prominent bass being given even more bottom  and fits right in with so much of its peer group from that time, to the extent,  judged on its own merits, one would never have thought that this David Bowie would achieve any more fame than, say, Leaf Hound.  

 

I’d always thought that “Black Country Rock” was the odd track our,  too simplistic and silly even for a collection of simplistic, sometimes pretentious, rock but now, I hear Bowie either mocking or honouring Mark Bolan on the outro to the track, and perhaps that was the point.  The track is not written by Bowie, has really stupid lyrics and could almost be a heavy metal parody song.

 

“The Width of a Circle” and “She Shook Me Cold” are the textbook heavy tracks but the title track and “The Supermen”  are by far the best things on the album, with the best music and atmosphere of all the tracks. The lyrics still aren’t impressive and smack too much of teenage would-be poet trying too hard. The power is in the music, as in the rest of the album, and one can gloss over the imperfections if you don’t pay close attention to the singing and just enjoy the heaviness of the performances.

 

I don’t blame David Bowie for his ever evolving and changing musical styles; that’s his prerogative as creative soul. On the other hand, I like what I like and disliked his foray in to blue eyed soul/disco with Young Americans (1975) and Station to Station (1975) and the continuation of that strain, Low and “Heroes”excepted.  Let’s Dance (1983) baffled me as much as, in a way, TMWSTW did, as the huge hit of a title track had, to my mind, particularly stupid and unimaginative lyrics and the music didn’t move me either. My initial dislike of the post Ziggy music could’ve been ascribed to my youth and immaturity at the time but when I listened to the albums roughly 30 years later my original opinions were re-affirmed.  How on earth any of this stuff could be classified under genius is still beyond my ken.  Yes, it seems that Bowie kept evolving, never rested on his laurels, but, like Neil Young’s similar restless creativity, hot all change was good and not all inventiveness was interesting and captivating.   

 

Bowie was perhaps contractually forced to continue releasing new music, and had the nous, time and money to experiment (Tin Machine comes to mind as flawed result) so that arrangements and  sonic tonality were the instruments to make nis music sound contemporary, and even ahead of the curve, but most of it is just running on empty to me.  The albums Bowie released over the last 30 years of his life just blurred into one another as non-essential, anodyne product with high production values.

 

I guess I will stick to and keep on listening to my core Bowie collection of albums up to roughly 1974, with those two exceptions from 1977, and enjoy them as visceral rock and roll to the max, with some intellibenet, quirky lyrics to make things interesting, and ignore the rest of the oeuvre as if it didn’t happen.

 

This latest version of The Man Who Sold the World  reminded me of why I love this type of artless early ‘70s hard rock in general, and why I love Bowie’s take on rock in particular. 

 

 

 

 

No comments: